October 21, 2008

Ride Around Shining

Well I just finished really thoroughly playing around with bloggers features, adding gadgets/minor layout tweaks/etc. Not fully complete, but I like the direction its heading better than how it was.

Today I achieved my goal of running for over 30 minutes. I ran for 33 minutes and something-in-change-seconds. I decided not to map a route out for myself, but rather just go out with the notion of pushing my lung capacity that far. I’ve been doing some reading today (links to follow) and was interested to find out that largely the capacity to push your muscles one distance or another already exists, but your lungs will sell you short. And I treat my lungs like shit.

I’m not sure exactly how far I ran. Okay, holy shit, I just took a minute to do a very rough estimate (again, lots of going through the park and random windy roads that don’t translate well to google maps marking) and it looks like I did about 5 kilometers today! I actually felt like today was an easier run than what I did yesterday, as that was some of the advice I read and tried to follow. I guess I’m just learning pacing. What’s strange is that I felt the time-based objective to be harder to work with, as I couldn’t pinpoint a distance I needed to get to as a goal. That lets me know when I can start putting it on. Or maybe its because it’s a more immediate seeming goal?

But apparently not knowing was good for me. Or at least good for my progress. I think being able to run 5 kilometers maybe puts me slightly above absolute beginner status. I mean, that’s the type of race you’re supposed to sign up for to start, as a goal to work towards. I think I want to work on sustaining my running for longer distances/times first though, before I work on speed.

Anyways, some helpful resources I came across from reading other people’s running blogs today:

100 Beginner Running Tips

Top 10 Questions Asked By Beginning Runners

A Letter to Mrs. McCarthy (3 Parts)

Links to the running blogs of others for inspiration.

Shout out to Zen Habits' Beginner’s Guide to Running that made me feel alright about not to knowing everything just yet and for providing the majority of those links I just posted.

Albums bumped while running: Lil’ Wayne’s Tha Carter III, Clipse’s Hell Hat No Fury

Stay true.

No comments: